Trip Journals: Africa | Cambodia | China/Bangkok/Singapore | Europe | Europe Cruise | Greece | Haiti | Iberia (Spain / Portugal) | India / Kashmir | Israel / Jordan / Egypt | Italy | Maldives | New Zealand / Sydney | Peru / Machu Picchu | Poland | Russia / Baltic | Scotland | South America | Sri Lanka | Vietnam
I visited China, Thailand, and Singapore in 1993.
I went to Splendid China Theme Park in Orlando Florida in 2002
Click here for a journal of this trip
Take a look at these comparison photos!
1960 - Grandfather's picture of Wat Arun in Bangkok, Thailand
1993 - My picture.
|1993 - My picture of the entrance to the Forbidden City in Beijing, China.|
|2002 - My picture of the same thing in Splendid China, Orlando Florida|
1993 - My picture of the Terra Cotta soldier in Xian,China.
2002 - My picture of the same thing in Splendid China, Orlando Florida
|1993 - The Great Wall. 4200 miles long in China|
|2002 - My picture in Splendid China, Orlando Florida. 4 feet tall, half a mile long.|
Splendid China Out of business so www.floridasplendidchina.com doesn't work.
3000 Splendid China Boulevard
Kissimmee, Florida 34747
Located 2 miles from Disney World on U.S. 192 west, three miles west of 1-4 (exit 25B), between mile markers 4 & 5.
1-407-396-7111 or 800-244-6226 email: schina @ earthlink.net
This is a 76 acre park. The pathways are landscaped with bonsai trees
It features 58 exhibits replicating Chinese landmarks in miniature. There are knee-high buildings, bridges, and temples. You can see:
- The Great Wall - It is half a mile long and waist-high, made of 6 million 1- and 2-inch bricks put together one at a time by Chinese craftsmen brought to Florida especially for the task. The domino size bricks are terra cotta.
- The Imperial Palace in the Forbidden City is 6,000 rooms. It has been reproduced on a small scale, stone by stone, tile by tile.
- The Potala Palace is a featured replica in the park. The real palace is where the Dalai Lama, Tibet's traditional leader lived until he fled the Chinese occupation of Tibet in 1959.
- The Leshan Grand Buddha is more than 35 feet tall. It is a miniature version of the original 23-story sculpture.
- There is recreation of the Terra Cotta warriors and horses - the 1974 archaeological discovery of 8,000 life-size and individually carved statues of soldiers and horses that Quin Shihuang commissioned to protect his spirit upon his death.
- The display features hand-crafted hand-painted porcelain figures of people and animals. There are "tens of thousands" of figures on a scale of 1 to 15. The figures are mounted on steel posts and imbedded in concrete.
There are four restaurants and 13 gift shops.
We watched a performance by Chinese dancers.
Built by China Travel Service of Hong Kong at a cost of $100 million.
Entrance cost is $23.55
The Splendid China park opened in December, 1993. I visited in January, 2002. It closed shortly after that.
Jan, 2002 . Mom and Dad drove down from St.Aug. I flew from Atl. Stayed at Renaissance Worldgate, 3011 Maingaite Lane, Kissimmee, FL 34747. www.renaissancehotels.com. Total cost for 4 nights was $162.75 = ($35 x 4 ) + 16.80 tax + 5.95 processing fee on priceline.com. Not bad!!!